Officials on Sunday identified the man they said blew himself up in a recreational vehicle in Nashville on Christmas Day, injuring several people, damaging buildings and scrambling communications.
Tennessee Bureau of investigation director David Rausch told reporters that authorities had matched the DNA of Anthony Quinn Warner, 63, with the charred human remains found in the recreational vehicle that detonated in downtown Nashville early on Friday morning.
Before the attack, witnesses heard an announcement coming from a loud speaker in the RV warning that a bomb was about to detonate. It then began a 15 minute countdown to the explosion, while music, including the 1964 Petula Clark hit “Downtown”, played in the background.
That warning gave authorities time to evacuate the area, preventing any fatalities from the blast. However, the attack caused widespread communications outages in Tennessee as well as nearby Kentucky and Alabama and several injuries.
While authorities were still trying to determine a motive, John Cooper, the city’s mayor, told CBS news on Sunday that he did not think it was an accident that an AT&T transmission facility had been one of the main buildings damaged in the blast.
“Those of us in Nashville realise that on Second Avenue there is a big AT&T facility and the truck was parked adjacent to this large, historic AT&T facility,” Mr Cooper said.
“To all of us locally, it feels like there has to be some connection with the AT&T facility and the site of the bombing. It’s got to have something to do with the infrastructure.”
Warner had been named as a person-of-interest earlier on Sunday after neighbours reported seeing an RV similar to the one that exploded parked in his backyard, around 11 miles from where the explosion took place. The RV was also captured parked outside Warner’s house on Google Maps.
US media reported that in November, Warner, who lived alone, transferred his property to a Los Angeles woman for “$0.”
Neighbours and relatives of Warner characterised the Tennesseean as a loner and said he had previously worked in the alarm security business.
Police said on Sunday that they did not believe anyone else was involved in the incident.